Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Gary Gygax: A Eulogy

I am still stunned that Gary Gygax has passed from this world. I think that Penny Arcade put it best I cannot imagine where my life would be without the world that Gary & his brother created. as a young geek padawan learner, D&D & AD&D were so important to me & to my fellow learners. I still remember the first time I played it, across the street from my grandmother's house with my friends. I played a premade & was killed one of his characters. It opened up a gigantic world to me. It opened up obscure rules to fantasy that had limits, to consequences, to choices, to calculated bravery. It led to socialization & friends that I would never have met.
Gary Gygax's contribution to this world are far greater than people can imagine. Whole industries sprung up because of what he created; And I think that's what I'm seeing today online. Everyone is realizing how big of an impact his works made. I never got to meet Gary but if I could've I would've said this:
"Mr Gygax thank you for what you created, I would not be the man I am today if it wasn't for you."

No comments: