Friday, March 7, 2008

WOW = Golf

I discovered about two weeks ago that a large group of my co-workers had a WOW guild on Blackwater Raiders. We more specifically they all belonged to a horde guild on BR. (I later found out that the gm was not a co-worker.) After speaking w a good friend in the guild he told me where they stood on Guild Progression (Hyjal, BT) & if I level up a toon there I'd probably get in since I knew about 8 guys in the guild from real life. At the same time he understood that I had almost two months of real life invested in Neren & that if I did this I would be putting an end game toon in cold storage. We then discussed Vash strategy & joked about being end game druids. Also one of the VP's at the location was in the guild but he was into PVP, so he & I talked WOW but not in the same perspective as my other co-worker who was into end-game content. Still though both of them thought my Blog was awesome so that's cool!
I told this to my wife as she was cooking dinner. She then looked at me with eyes that were infused with seriousness & told me that she wanted me to level a character on that server so I could play with them since it would help me with my career. I think she even checked on me once to see if I was on my main or working on my new toon. I explained that it would take about 30 days to reach were my friends were at in WOW. She was like ok that's a month, to which I replied no 30 days (or 720 hours) to non wow players.
To be honest my heart just isn't into it. Leveling a character to play with my co-workers (who aren't even at my location) because it might help my career doesn't feel right. I think my wife relates it to Golf & I can see the analogy, but it's not the same as Golf. We can talk WOW, we can share experiences, but it's not like a golf PUG, where you can chat and make deals. Raids are focused events, you don't discuss anything other than the raid.
Still though I can see WOW becoming like golf over time, servers are clubs, guilds as groups, etc. One time I helped my friend Meatpuppet IRL with his company's cell management issues.
But I see it taking time for WOW to develop into the networking atmosphere that the golf course is famous for. Real World relationships take time, as opposed to WOW relationships which form\fail at an accelerated rate.

No comments: