Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Effects of Brain Mush

Good Morning Musers,
I hope the calm before 3.1 is not as boring as I've been told by my friends. Frankly I wouldn't know at the moment, for you see I haven't played WOW in almost a week! I actually tried logging in @ 7am this morning because I realized that I had an Oracle Egg that had hatched on Tuesday & I didn't check to see if it had yielded a pet, food or God-Willing a Drake. Ironically, I found the process of doing two daily quests so taxing on my brain that I said screw it & logged off. The only guildie online when I was didn't mind as he was still recovering from boozing & bowling on last night.
The irony of my mental state is that WOW helped produce it. That is I took practices for maximizing efficiency in play & applied them to real life 'quests'. I plotted out paths to see the quickest route for students, used mana\health conservation formula's to enable me to keep going for 12-14 hours straight etc. The only downside that I can see is that it created three distinct mental states
1.) On: Mental Faculties running 100%
2.) Off: Mental Faculties off, brain in a soak or sleep mode. Reading INOP, WOW INOP, TV as acceptable entertainment.
3.) Halfway: Mental Faculties running but not at peak efficiency. Judging from my own observations this state exists from 1 to 2 hours a day. Personal Tasks are accomplished in this mode (if not at work), entertainment that requires anything beyond simple mental strat (bejewelled etc.) is taxing
I was discussing this with my Friend Bill, who also happened to be my Best Man and commenting that the mental and physical exhaustion was creating a state of Shoshin that was allowing me to have ideas and changes in process that enabled me to do more than I thought possible. However it is a state that cannot exist forever at least in my opinion. Although many stressor's are removed I've found that other stressor's that normally don't bother me (being late for an appt etc.) are now very stressful since my schedule is very tight & the amount of time flexibility I have is in some cases only measured in minutes.
Luckily though once this week ends my schedule calms by about 25% That should be more manageable
Until another day
The Musing Moonkin

No comments: