Monday, March 16, 2009

Thoughts on Successful Guilds

Good Day Musers.



I hope you're awaiting 3.1 as eagerly as I am. When I saw it download onto my laptop Sunday I was overjoyed at the promise of new content. However I don't think it's going live tomorrow. My gut says that it still needs more brew time on the PTR.

The following post come from my decesion yesterday to gquit Knights of Camelot & my choice to throw my hat in with the Knights of the Blade. Some of this post comes from a discussion I had with a Guild Leader from KoC yesterday afternoon offline.

If you've followed my blog you know that for a period of 2008 I ran Ronin; I had been involved in WOTLK beta & knew that the old ways of wow were going away. When WOTLK went live I stayed guildless for a while but came to a point where I needed a guild. I decided to join The Crystal Dawn based of my experiences with a couple of their members, but soon learned that casual attitude ran too deep for my liking.


I was then presented an opportunity to join my friend's guild, The Knight's of Camelot. The first couple weeks were great, but Feb to March I noticed a disturbing trend where there simply wasn't enough people to even do 10 man content online. This didn't bother me much because for the last couple of weeks I was simply too busy with real life quests to spend time on virual life quests.
Then this saturday I had an opening (my wife away on business), and an invitation for 25 man Naxx. I signed up, took care of my chores & was ready, only to find that people who signed up were no shows. Frustrated, I was going to run heroics or try 10 man naxx when a guild member with an even busier schedule than myself invited me into another guilds 25 man naxx run. I raidied Sat night until 1:15am EST and cleared two wings. I also recieved a guild invite which I didn't really take seriously ATM. Sunday morning though I woke up logged in while having coffee, and decided after being tempted by the guild membership to gquit & roll with KoB.
Anyway here's my thoughts on what makes a successful guild. I'm going to try to distill it.
A successful guild is run like a business that's owned by friends. That is everyone gets along, everyone is on good terms but everyone also knows what to do and how to behave. There are agreed goals and clear leadership.
That's it
Until another day
The musing moonkin

No comments: