Sunday, February 24, 2008

The first time I've ever been upset at Blizzard...

happened today.
I went to bed last night at 10pm sick, & got up @ 7:15 or so, about an hour later than I had set my alarm. I feel better, but still out of sorts, so I determined that laundry would either be done tonight or tomorrow after work. My wife still sick w flu merely wanted an ice pack & occasional checkups.
After getting coffee, letting the chinnie's run around for the first time since Thursday (they get twitchy if they don't get exercise time every two days...they're cage may be 4X2X3 but still they need open exercise) I logged in to check on how we did last night in SSC. Utopia is on Vash & when I tapped out @ 10pm we were still going. Apparently we didn't down her because we're on again @ 6:30 for tonight. We battled that naga from 5:30 to 8 then 8:45 until god knows when. But it was necessary to learn how the fight works. You can watch the videos but you actually need to get over the chaos of that battle.
Anyway I picked up the daily cooking quest, and lo and behold...the heroic is Shadow Labs...Somehow the gods must favor me because I got a mixed pug up by 8:30 & was in sl by 8:45 (with two replacements, since I didn't realize my guild pally was ret & the rogue he brought w him wanted to run it only w him.)
Progress was going slow & steady, no wipes until after 1st boss & we had to change tactics because we realized we didn't have a shadow mage to mc one of the mobs during the six pulls. At 10am we started seeing warnings that the instance was going to reset in one hour. I had never seen that before (as well as others so we thought that the time meant that we had an hour to take down the 2nd boss.) Wrong. @ 11am the server resets all heroic instances. So what did this mean for us? Well we got to Grandmaster Vorpil with approx 3 mins left before server reset.
Now here is the kicker, before the pug was filled I had noticed a herb node spawned in the river by the Scryer Village in Tekkor Forest & I had reported it the GM's. Well the GM answered @ 10:55. was blizzard able to help? No. So this left me & five other married men with chores that beckoned with an unfinished quest. And were not talking the daily, we're talking the champion of the naaru quest. For me at least this is the last part before Mag.
I want to be angry at Blizzard but one of my best traits stops me from going into a blood fury. The problem here is that Blizzard hasn't adjusted their maintenance schedules to the changing demographics of players. Namely Adults who get up early on weekends. And what's really sick is that I can understand this.
I'm a gamer, I've played video games since I was at least 3-4. I can remember how nervous my uncle was letting me play on his Atari 2600 because back in '78 that machine cost $199. I was weaned on Laser Blast & Pitfall, I learned to play Summer Games on an AT&T clone, I had a C64 & had friends who were jealous because they had vic20's or PETS. I stopped Tarjan in his tracks twice. I skipped Nintendo, went to genesis, played my fair share of Sonic, Went back to PC's (Xwing\Tie-Fighter\Might & Magic.) Played Doom, Played Aliens PWAD, Downloaded QTest, submitted Bugs to ID, Bought Quake through the 1-800 #, played Deathmatch for six months on lvls that only the people who had called ID directly could access (remember it was released in June & didn't goto retail until December.) Fallout 1&2 & Tactics. Diablo for 36 hours straight. The point is I've played a lot & I know the mantra that is instilled into every young gamer..Game all night sleep is for the week...caffeine is a powerful ally..it makes you stronger, gives you focus..but beware the dew lest you get addicted. & if you run game servers, never do system maintenance late in the evening, do it late morning when no one is online.
The Problem is that the gamers have grown up, & even if I can stay up all night on a Friday I have things to do Sat Morning. & it's not just me it's everyone I know that raids or is endgame, yes you have your fair share of teenagers & kids but the demographic is getting older. & so you need to adjust. I would recommend that Heroic's be reset @ 6-7am Server Time. That should resolve this little issue.


No comments: